State college football player of the week: Joshua Birmingham, Central Oklahoma
The former Luther High School star runs for 272 yards and four touchdowns on 20 carries; adds 83-yard kickoff return for TD.
Joshua Birmingham, Central Oklahoma
*Position: Running back
*Height, weight: 5-foot-9, 195 pounds
*Scouting report: Birmingham helped the Bronchos snap a 15-game road losing streak — dating back to 2009 — during Saturday's 56-25 rout of Lincoln (Mo.). He scored five touchdowns, one on an 83-yard kickoff return. Birmingham rushed for 272 yards and four TDs on 20 carries. He added three catches for 40 yards. At the end of the game, Birmingham had totaled a single-game school-record 395 all-purpose yards. The previous record was 312 set in 1994 by future NFL player Joe Aska. On Monday, Birmingham was also selected as Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association Offensive Player of the Week. It's the second time this season Birmingham has been honored by the NCAA Division II league.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14417OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 14044Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8989Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7004Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5982Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5451Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5357Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss