State college football player of the week: Joshua Birmingham, Central Oklahoma
The former Luther High School star runs for 272 yards and four touchdowns on 20 carries; adds 83-yard kickoff return for TD.
Joshua Birmingham, Central Oklahoma
*Position: Running back
*Height, weight: 5-foot-9, 195 pounds
*Scouting report: Birmingham helped the Bronchos snap a 15-game road losing streak — dating back to 2009 — during Saturday's 56-25 rout of Lincoln (Mo.). He scored five touchdowns, one on an 83-yard kickoff return. Birmingham rushed for 272 yards and four TDs on 20 carries. He added three catches for 40 yards. At the end of the game, Birmingham had totaled a single-game school-record 395 all-purpose yards. The previous record was 312 set in 1994 by future NFL player Joe Aska. On Monday, Birmingham was also selected as Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association Offensive Player of the Week. It's the second time this season Birmingham has been honored by the NCAA Division II league.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10625Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9988Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9782Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6778Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4215Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4087Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates