State Rep. Richard Morrissette brings in Joe Washington to motivate Capitol Hill football team
After watching Capitol Hill's 52-0 loss to Ardmore on Oct. 13, Oklahoma State Rep. Richard Morrissette decided he'd had enough. He arranged for the team to tour the state capitol building on Thursday and got Oklahoma legend Joe Washington to speak to the players.
Photoview all 41 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Washington spoke to the players in the House chamber about the importance of being part of a team and never giving up.
“The team concept that he really talked about can really hit home with these guys,” Webster said. “As great as Joe Washington was in his glory days at OU and in the pros, he still talked about the people that blocked for him.
“I do believe that our guys heard that and will really benefit from that message.”
The players certainly seemed to appreciate the attention they got Thursday.
“There's people out there watching us; that's why we have to play hard every down,” said senior quarterback Luis Leyva. “Our coach tells us all the time, ‘You never know who's watching you,' and look what happened. A state representative came out and brought us to the state capitol. We really appreciate that.”
Morrissette said he plans to do more for Capitol Hill High School. He is helping organize a golf tournament to benefit the basketball team on Nov. 14.
“We believe that if we bring the school spirit back to Capitol Hill, it will resonate back into the homes and back into the neighborhoods,” Morrissette said. “Capitol Hill has a tremendous history, and we're going to start rebuilding it one play at a time.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister