State slowpitch softball notebook: Red Oak holds on; Rattan repeats
Red Oak defeated Leedey to win the Class A title, while Rattan defeated Fletcher to repeat as Class 3A state champion.
Red Oak was cruising in Wednesday's Class A state title game against Leedey.
Until the sixth inning.
The Eagles held on to win 8-6, claiming their first slowpitch softball title since 1992, but Leedey's four-run sixth, which brought them to within two runs of Red Oak, made things interesting late.
Photoview all 10 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“There's always that one inning in a good championship softball game that you have to recover from,” said Red Oak coach Casey Butcher. “We've talked about it and preached it. They did a really good job.”
Wednesday's result was quite different from last year's Class A title game, which featured the same two teams. Leedey won that one 16-4 in four innings.
“We've been in the final and been on the doorstep for a long time,” Butcher said. “We played tight; we had a lot of monkeys on our back.”
RATTAN REPEATS AS 3A CHAMPION
Rattan battled back from early deficits to win its second straight Class 3A slowpitch softball state championship Wednesday in a 6-4 decision over Fletcher.
After two innings, Fletcher led 3-0. Entering the fourth, the defending champs were down 4-2.
But in the top of the fourth, Rattan scored three runs to take a lead it wouldn't relinquish.
With the win, Rattan became the only 2011 slowpitch champion in any class to successfully defend its title in 2012.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13851OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13814Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9624Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7322Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 7022Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5771Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5205Student shot dead during botched home invasion