State softball: Jordan Chism's focus on hitting pays off for Piedmont
For her first three years at Piedmont, Jordan Chism was a pitcher. But with a move to third base, she's been able to focus better on contributing on offense.
Jordan Chism's mind seems a lot less cluttered at the plate this season.
For her first three years at Piedmont, Chism was a pitcher.
After starting her at pitcher again to start this season, Piedmont coach Rick Scott moved Chism to third base.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“It wasn't that I didn't want to pitch,” Chism said. “It was what was best for the team. It does release a bit of stress off of me, though, and our pitchers have done a great job.”
The Wildcats (32-7) open the Class 4A state softball tournament against Newcastle at p.m. Thursday at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium.
Chism is a big reason for Piedmont's berth, hitting .525 with eight home runs and 60 RBIs.
“This year, she's been the catalyst that's made us go,” Scott said. “I expected her to be really good this season but I didn't expect it to this level.”
Chism moved to the third spot in the order as well.
“I really focused on my hitting going into this year, especially the outside pitch and keeping my hands inside the ball,” she said.
Chism has also made a point of jumping on pitches early in the count, including one from Little Axe's Andee Frazier early in the season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister