State tournament notebook: Weleetka gunning for third title
While none of the players on the current team were alive when Weleetka won the state title in 1989, most of the team's fans weren't alive the first time the school reached the finals — in 1933.
A lot of good Weleetka boys basketball teams have passed through the state tournament over the years.
Out of 10 appearances at state, the Outlaws will play for the title for the third time in school history on Saturday.
Photoview all 35 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
While none of the players on the current team were alive when Weleetka won the state title in 1989, most of the team's fans weren't alive the first time the school reached the finals.
Weleetka lost to El Reno 41-16 in the 1933 championship game.
OKARCHE MAKES HISTORY
In its 23 state tournament appearances that include four state championships, Okarche has had plenty of big wins.
Thursday's 62-24 blowout of Turner, though, was its biggest, at least in terms of margin of victory.
Friday's win was the Lady Warriors' 29th in state tournament history, but Okarche has rarely blown opponents away.
The previous high for margin of victory was in the 2004 first round, when it beat Silo 69-36.
Three other times, Okarche has won a state tournament game by at least 20 points — all in the first round.
SHATTUCK COMEBACK FALLS SHORT
Shattuck's girls team erased a five-point deficit with 28 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter Friday morning to force overtime before falling to Erick 51-44.
But that wasn't even the most impressive comeback for the Indians this season.
They rallied from a nine-point deficit against Laverne in the Buffalo Tournament.
“I told them, ‘Girls, we were down nine with a minute left in a big game. It's not over. Get out there and get a steal,'” Shattuck coach Kenna Young said. “They reacted and played and gave us a chance to get overtime.”
Shattuck first got a 3-pointer from Daniela Galindo with 19 seconds remaining before Madeline Bonine intercepted an inbounds pass to set up two free throws by Takeyah Thomas with 12 seconds remaining to tie the game.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister