Stephens beats Robson at Hobart International
HOBART, Australia (AP) — American Sloane Stephens broke Laura Robson's service in the opening game and went on to beat the British player 6-4, 7-6 (4) in the first round of the Hobart International on Sunday.
Stephens, seeded eighth, was coming off a quarterfinal loss to eventual champion Serena Williams in the Brisbane International.
In the only other first-round match Sunday at the Domain Tennis Centre, Olga Govortsova of Belarus beat fifth-seeded Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain 6-2, 6-1.
Top-seeded Hsieh Su-wei of Taiwan will play China's Peng Shuai in a first-round match Monday.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13316Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11704Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5428Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5363Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4511OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4209Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3958How to help tornado victims