Steven Northerton comes up big for Luther
LUTHER — Life is getting back to normal in a lot of ways around the town of Luther after wildfires ravaged the area last month, and Friday night's football game was a sign of that.
Videoview all videos
Sep 4The Oklahoman's Ryan Aber talks about Jennifer Goethe, a...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“We had a lot of people out at the game, so that got everyone together,” Luther quarterback Austin Weathers said. “Everything's kind of getting back to normal.”
But on the field Friday night, Steven Northerton was well above normal, scoring five touchdowns to lead the Lions to a 56-7 win over Wellston.
Northerton might only stand about 5-foot-7 and weigh 150 pounds, but he played big. One of the most dynamic players in Class 2A, Northerton had two rushing touchdowns, caught two TD passes from Weathers and returned an interception for a score to kick off the Lions' 2012 campaign in style.
“He's a little guy with a big attitude,” Weathers said. “Steven's a big threat. He's always able to get loose. He sees the field well, and it takes more than you think to bring him down.
“The offensive line gave him some big holes and he ran through them. He's got a clear mind and he plays fast.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims