Steven Thompson's rapid rise at quarterback keyed Carl Albert's unlikely run to Class 5A title
Thompson was also a critical piece on the defense for the Titans
Photoview all 26 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
He was also a critical piece of Carl Albert's secondary. He had at least one interception in each playoff game including two in the 24-8 win over Tulsa East Central that gave Carl Albert its improbable state title.
“We hadn't played a quarterback two ways in awhile like we did him,” Rose said. “J.T. (Realmuto) could've a few years ago but we didn't need him to. But we had to have Stevie and he did a great job.
“His toughness was a big deal for us.”
For the season, Thompson ran for 1,926 yards and 36 touchdowns. he also threw for 1,395 yards.
Caleb Holland had a close-up view of a lot of Thompson's runs.
The one that stands out the most for the Titans' lineman wasn't an extremely long one. It was critical, though.
The run in Carl Albert's semifinal win over McGuinness all but put the game away, putting the Titans up 42-19.
“It was really kind of a busted play,” Holland said. “A couple linebackers walked up into the hole.
“All we gave him was about a foot but that's all he needed. Watching the film on it, all you can think is, ‘How in the world did you do that?'”
Thompson didn't have lofty individual goals going into the season.
“I wanted to win the ball first and anything else that happened would be great,” he said.
Now, though, Thompson is looking to improve on an incredible junior season.
“The main thing I'm working on right now is trying to gain some weight,” Thompson said. “That's what Coach Rose wants from me right now.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister