Stillwater man dies after Thursday traffic accident
A Stillwater man died after the car he was riding in swerved to avoid hitting a deer.
A Stillwater man died Thursday after the driver of a car he was riding in swerved to avoid hitting a deer on State Highway 51 in Payne County, Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers said.
Weldon Drew, 77, was a passenger in a car driven by Clara Drew, 60, of Stillwater. Troopers said the car was headed east on the highway about 7 miles west of Stillwater when Clara Drew swerved to avoid a deer in the road about 7:15 p.m.
The car hit a ditch and rolled twice. Weldon Drew was taken to Stillwater Medical Center where he later died. Clara Drew was treated and released from Stillwater Medical Center for injuries to her head and torso.
Both were wearing seat belts, troopers said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed