Stocks waver as corporate earnings disappoint
NEW YORK (AP) — Stocks are little changed in the early going as weak earnings from Goodyear and other U.S. companies kept buyers at bay.
The Dow Jones industrial average inched down a point to 13,970 shortly after the opening bell Tuesday.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index was down half a point at 1,516. The Nasdaq composite was also down about half a point at 3,191.
Goodyear Tire & Rubber sank 6 percent to $13.11 after the company cut its forecast for full-year earnings, blaming weakness in the European economy. Coca-Cola fell 2 percent following its earnings report.
Trading was relatively light as investors waited to hear President Barack Obama's comments on the economy later Tuesday night in his State of the Union address.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort