Storm-safe room inside new practice facility another benefit for Thunder
There will be a 1,000-square foot storm-safe room in the Thunder's new practice facility that will double as an equipment room.
Once the Thunder's new practice facility is completed later this year, if a storm threatens, players, coaches and staff members can move to a safe room.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Primarily used as a storage and laundry room, a 1,052-square foot room in the new $14.5 million practice facility will double as a shelter.
Labeled the players' home away from home during a six-month season, the new practice facility has a plan for inclement weather. Project manager John Russell said 30 to 40 people could fit in the room "if you really packed them in."
"It's not uncommon," Russell said. "A lot of schools and businesses build safe rooms. It's just a big concrete equipment room that has 12-inch thick walls and a 12-inch thick roof. In this state it's certainly not a bad idea to have one."
Center Nenad Krstic said his wife, Tanja, is more concerned with severe storms than he is.
"Last year when she first came here, three days after she got here there was a tornado," Krstic said. "(The team) was gone. She said it was a really bad storm. She got a little scared."
Point guard Russell Westbrook grew up in California where earthquakes are the biggest concern.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister