Sometimes you just gotta get away. And as host of the Travel Channel’s “Great Weekends,” Samantha Brown knows how to do just that. Here are her suggestions for leaving the wedding all behind and having a blast on your ’moon.
1. You’ve just spent a year deciding on things like the perfect dress to the napkin fold – give yourself a break and don’t overplan your honeymoon. Wait to book excursions like snorkeling or a helicopter ride for when you get there.
2. Factor in “door-to-door” travel time. It may be a five-hour flight, but total travel time could be almost double that amount. If you only have a week, choose a closer location so you’re not spending a chunk of your honeymoon in transit.
3. Look beautiful in your pictures. It’s a gorgeous sunset picture of the two of you, but your face is so shiny it’s almost reflective. Always bring powder, waterproof mascara and a little lip gloss – now post those pics on Facebook!
4. Stay away from organized tours – there’s nothing romantic about being with 30 people on a bus. Splurge on a personal guide or driver to take you around and get a local’s perspective of where the best beaches and spots (hint: no tourists) are.
5. Find out the peak times of the places you want to go to – beach, Machu Picchu, museum – and avoid at all costs. General rule is if you go first thing in the morning or after 4 p.m. you’ll have the place to yourself.
© CTW Features