RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — More than 2,000 workers stayed away from venue construction sites for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics on Tuesday as a strike that began last week continued without an end in sight.
A spokesperson for Rio Mais, the consortium building venues at the Olympic Park, confirmed the work stoppage. It began Thursday in a dispute over which union represents the construction workers, and also involves benefits and working conditions.
"There's no possibility to keep working with the conditions we have here," said Carlos Alberto Oliveira, a leader of the Light Industry Workers Union.
He spoke outside the gates of the Olympic Park — located about 25 kilometers (15 miles) west of central Rio — as workers milled around. He said the strike involved 3,500 people, although Rio Mais has put the number at 2,300.
"People have been working under precarious conditions," Oliveira added.
There was no hint of violence on Tuesday after random gunshots were fired Monday in a run-in between strikers and security guards. No injuries were reported.
The Rio Olympics have been plagued by a late start and delays, and the games top the agenda of a meeting this week in the southern Turkish resort of Belek.
On Tuesday, the head of Olympic summer sports federations called for "urgent action" to tackle delays.