Strongest tornadoes on record in Oklahoma
On May 24, 2011, Oklahoma experienced its first tornado rated EF5 since the Enhanced Fujita scale was adopted by the National Weather Service in 2007.
In all, there have been 12 tornadoes rated F5/EF5.
F5/EF5 Tornadoes in Oklahoma (1905-Present). Shown are the date, time, rating, counties and general path of the tornado.
1. May 10, 1905, 8:05 p.m., F5, Jackson, Kiowa counties; three miles south, southwest of Humphreys — Snyder — three miles northeast of Snyder.
2. April 14-15, 1939, 11 p.m., F5, Dewey, Major, Woodward, Woods counties in Oklahoma and Barber County, Kan.; near Vici, near Waynoka, near Hopeton, near Alva, Capron, just inside Kansas.
3. April 12, 1945, 5:40 p.m., F5, Pushmataha County; Antlers.
4. April 9, 1947, 7:52 p.m., F5, Hemphill and Lipscomb counties in Texas; Ellis, Woodward, Woods counties in Oklahoma — near Canadian, Texas; Glazier, Texas; Higgins, Texas; and four miles southeast of Shattuck, four miles northwest of Arnett, three miles southeast of Gage, two miles southeast of Fargo, Woodward, 10 miles west of Alva.
News Photo Galleriesview all
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 9 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
- 51290Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14843Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9419Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7710Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7083Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6592Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6563Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes