Students cram to finish Oklahoma State University house decorations
Annual homecoming tradition at Oklahoma State University means many hours of work for sorority, fraternity members.
STILLWATER — On the eve of Oklahoma State University's annual homecoming celebration, Elizabeth McMurray has tissue paper and chicken wire on the brain.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The junior at Oklahoma State University said she, along with the rest of her Alpha Chi Omega sorority sisters, are kind of sick of looking at the vibrant colors of the paper they are stuffing into thin, wired panels.
Still, McMurray said she is looking forward to completing their giant house decoration, a larger-than-life collage of all things related to OSU.
“It's such a thrill to be able to show off our house to everyone because we have put so much work into this,” McMurray said.
One of the highlights of homecoming at OSU is Friday's Walkaround, where crowds in the tens of thousands view house-size tributes outside sororities and fraternities.
Last year for homecoming, more than 80,000 people participated in the Walkaround.
McMurray's sorority teamed with the FarmHouse fraternity this year to make decorations.
She said planning the house decorations is nearly a yearlong process.
“The entire semester leads up to this one night,” she said. “It's so stressful, but that's mainly because I'm pre-med and taking a full course load and trying to organize all of this; you just have to be so dedicated to homecoming to be successful at it.”
Jake Krieger, of Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity, said his house and Chi Omega, its partner sorority, have a budget of $11,000 to construct the house decoration.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 15772Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12083Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10914OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9909Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9575Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8649Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 8648Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated