Suarez apologizes for biting opponent at World Cup

Published on NewsOK Modified: June 30, 2014 at 2:17 pm •  Published: June 30, 2014
Advertisement
;

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — After a few days of reflection, Luis Suarez acknowledged what millions saw on TV — he did bite an opponent during a game at the World Cup. In addition, he said he's sorry about it, and promised it will never happen again.

Ending a unified protest in Uruguay by everyone from Suarez to teammates, fans and even the country's president that the star striker had done nothing wrong, the Liverpool player on Monday offered an apology to Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.

"I deeply regret what occurred," Suarez said in a statement posted on Twitter. "I apologize to Giorgio Chiellini and the entire football family. ... I vow to the public that there will never again be another incident like (this)."

The Uruguay striker was banned for four months from all football by FIFA for biting the shoulder of Chiellini during the team's 1-0 win over Italy in their group-stage game in Brazil. The incident was not spotted by the referee, and the Uruguayans' victory sent them through to the second round while Italy was eliminated. It is the third time Suarez has been banned for biting an opponent, after similar incidents at both Ajax in the Dutch league and Liverpool in the English Premier League.

Chiellini responded on Twitter shortly after Suarez posted his statement, accepting the apology.

"It's all forgotten," the Italian wrote in English. "I hope FIFA will reduce your suspension."

Suarez had originally denied wrongdoing in a written response to FIFA, and had been staunchly defended by teammates and Uruguayan officials. His apology could be taken into account by FIFA when it considers an appeal of the ban, which the Uruguayan federation has said it will file.