LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — Luis Suarez gave evidence at sport's highest court Friday and was told to expect a verdict next week in his appeal against a FIFA ban for biting an opponent at the World Cup.
The Uruguay and Barcelona forward signed autographs for young fans waiting outside the Court of Arbitration for Sport after a six-hour hearing Friday, then left in a car without speaking to reporters.
CAS said Suarez gave a statement in court. The player, who dressed in a plaid shirt and jeans for the case, is trying to persuade a three-man judging panel to reduce his ban of four months from all football activity, along with nine Uruguay matches in official competitions.
The panel "informed the parties that it will issue its decision as soon as possible, probably before the end of next week," the court said in a statement.
Barcelona, which signed Suarez from Liverpool after the World Cup ended, begins the Spanish league season in two weeks.
FIFA's sanction, which currently runs through Oct. 25, bars Suarez from training with his new teammates.
Lawyers for football's world governing body declined to comment on the case.
Daniel Cravo, a lawyer for the Uruguay federation, told reporters he would not predict the outcome.
"We know that it's a hard case so it's impossible to make a prognosis on it," Cravo said after the hearing.
Suarez has admitted biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini's shoulder during Uruguay's 1-0 win in Natal, Brazil.
Because Suarez acknowledged the incident, his legal team separately representing his club and national federation were unlikely to challenge FIFA on the facts of the case.
"I deeply regret what occurred," Suarez wrote on Twitter June 30, days after FIFA announced the sanctions. "(The) truth is that my colleague Giorgio Chiellini suffered the physical result of a bite in the collision he suffered with me."
Instead, Suarez's lawyers from the Uruguay football association and Barcelona were expected to focus on persuading the panel that the sanctions are too severe.
The international group of football player's unions, FIFPro, has criticized the four-month ban as an infringement of Suarez's right to work.
On Friday, FIFPro urged the court to ease the sanction by making parts of the bans conditional on future good behavior and rehabilitation.
"The educative nature of the sanction mentioned by FIFA in the (disciplinary) ruling can be much better achieved by making it partially conditional, including the obligation for Luis Suarez to receive treatment," the union said in a statement.
Suarez has trained alone with a private coach while he is barred by FIFA from Barcelona's stadium and practice grounds.
FIFA did allow Suarez to take a medical to complete his reported $126-million transfer from Liverpool last month on a five-year contract.
Continue reading this story on the...