Suarez leads Liverpool to 4-0 win over Wigan
WIGAN, England (AP) — Luis Suarez netted a hat trick Saturday as a rampant Liverpool beat Wigan 4-0, putting the Uruguay forward atop the Premier League scoring list.
After Stewart Downing put the visitors ahead in just the second minute, Suarez effectively decided the game by making it 3-0 by the 34th — his second goal coming with a stroke of luck as he slipped when taking a free kick but the ball deflected off the defensive wall and into the net.
He then completed his hat trick shortly after the break for his 21st league goal of the season, putting him ahead of Manchester United's Robin van Persie on 19.
He joins Robbie Fowler and Fernando Torres as the only Liverpool players to score at least 20 goals in a Premier League campaign. Suarez has now scored 15 goals in as many matches in all competitions, making him one of the top contenders to be crowned player of the year, along with Van Persie and Tottenham's Gareth Bale.
"He's such a pleasure to work with," Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers said. "He has quality, finishing, work-rate and that's what makes him world class."
The win kept Liverpool in seventh place, while Wigan is only out of the relegation zone on goal difference.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 88132Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 35601Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction