Share “Suarez pledges to not bite again with...”

Suarez pledges to not bite again with Barcelona

Published on NewsOK Modified: August 19, 2014 at 10:30 am •  Published: August 19, 2014
Advertisement

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Luis Suarez is ready to put his biting days behind him.

The Barcelona striker was officially presented to fans on Tuesday at an event delayed for more than five weeks because of his suspension for biting an opponent at the World Cup.

Suarez said he was ready to "erase" his history of bad behavior and start fresh with the Catalan club.

"I say to all the fans, don't worry, because I won't do that anymore," the former Liverpool striker said.

Suarez sunk his teeth into the shoulder of Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup in June, earning him a four-month ban and further damaging his already tarnished reputation. The Court of Arbitration for Sport lessened his penalty last week, allowing him to start practice with Barcelona on Friday and play the final minutes of a friendly on Monday.

The Uruguay forward won't play a competitive match until October.

"The suspension is what it is, and I have to accept it," Suarez said. "After what happened I didn't want to do anything. I was depressed. But while I was with my wife and children I had to accept reality. I asked for forgiveness as I had to do, and now I have to think about the present."

Suarez refused to go into details about what he considered was at the root of his violent behavior. He called it a "private" issue that he was treating with the "appropriate professionals."

But the volatile former Ajax forward did say that after his latest bite he was worried about his career.

"Of course I was worried, but not only about the transfer (to Barcelona), but also about myself, for what I had done. I try to erase it," he said. "The lesson I take from it is personal. I try to forget it."

Continue reading this story on the...