Share “Summertime calls for added insurance...”

Summertime calls for added insurance protections, Oklahoma insurance professional says.

John Wiscaver, vice president of public affairs for Oklahoma Farm Bureau Insurance, discusses policies to protect consumers with backyard pools, watercraft, motorcycles and more.
by Paula Burkes Modified: June 24, 2014 at 10:00 am •  Published: June 23, 2014
/articleid/4952486/1/pictures/2814119">Photo - 
John Wiscaver 
Vice president of public affairs for Oklahoma Farm Bureau Insurance
John Wiscaver Vice president of public affairs for Oklahoma Farm Bureau Insurance

A: Motorcycles and classic cars are also popular during warmer months. Some insurance companies offer partial or full-year insurance you’ll want to consider, depending on where you live and how much you plan to ride your motorcycle. All motorcyclists are required to have liability coverage for property damage and bodily injury. Be sure to check with your agent to ensure your coverage also extends to passengers on your bike. Discounts are usually available for safe-riding courses, whether you’re a member of a motorcycle organization or club or if you own more than one bike. If you have a classic car, these vehicles can require separate insurance from your regular car because of their more limited use and value. Some insurers offer agreed-value or stated-value policies. You’ll want an agreed-value policy where you and your insurer agree on the car’s value, as opposed to leaving the value of your classic car open to interpretation by the insurer.

Q: How do insurance concerns apply when traveling?

A: With the proliferation of websites like Airbnb and others where people rent out their home while they’re away, there are some insurance issues to consider. Many insurance companies may allow a short-term rental of your primary home under your homeowner’s policy. Some require additional coverage or renters’ insurance. For longer rentals, you’ll need a landlord or rental-dwelling policy. If you’re the one renting a space, that won’t be covered by your homeowner’s policy. You’ll need to buy a separate business policy.


by Paula Burkes
A 1981 journalism graduate of Oklahoma State University, Paula Burkes has more than 30 years experience writing and editing award-winning material for newspapers and healthcare, educational and telecommunications institutions in Tulsa, Oklahoma...
+ show more


  1. 1
    Claremore hospital fires doctor who authorities say threatened officer after DUI arrest
  2. 2
    Former Arrow Trucking CEO sentenced to 7.5 years in prison
  3. 3
    George Kaiser Family Foundation donates $10 million in land in Tulsa
  4. 4
    Tom Petty Reveals ‘90s-Era Heroin Addiction in New Biography
  5. 5
    Conservatives hold out option of vacating Boehner's chair
+ show more


× Trending business Article