Sundays haven't been kind to the OKC Thunder
Sunday is a day of rest. The Thunder takes that to heart.
Oklahoma City's NBA team often rests on Sundays. Rests on defense. Rests on offense. Rests on rebounds.
NewsOK Related Articles
The Thunder has played 17 Sunday games this season. The Thunder is 7-10 in those games. On all the days when the Lord did not command us to rest, the Thunder is 48-23.
The Thunder is 5-8 in Sunday home games, which is particularly alarming since a Sunday home game is exactly what the Thunder faces in Game 7 of its Western Conference Semifinal against the Memphis Grizzlies.
In all other home games, the Thunder is 30-4. Thirty and four!
It's enough to make the Thunder wonder if God prefers his teams here in the Bible Belt to refrain from Sunday competition.
“I sure hope God isn't frowning on that, especially tomorrow,” said mega-Thunder fan Chris Lambert, whose wife, the Rev. Wendy Lambert, is an associate pastor at St. Luke's United Methodist Church.
When the Thunder plays on Sunday, “I may rearrange my church schedule, but I don't skip it,” Chris Lambert said.
“With any team other than the Thunder, that might be a concern. But considering Kevin Durant carries a Bible in his backpack, and Eric Maynor was going through ‘The Purpose-Driven Life' earlier this year...
“I tend to see God being concerned about other things than when the Thunder plays.”
Eric Chaffin, a Baptist minister who runs 3:14 Ministries, Inc., said his father, a long-time pastor, “used to jokingly say that they should turn Remington Park into a football stadium, because it's a lot less sinful to play sports on Sunday than to gamble on Saturday.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims