Sunderland beats Reading 3-0 for only 3rd EPL win
SUNDERLAND, England (AP) — Sunderland secured a morale-boosting 3-0 win over Reading in the Premier League on Tuesday to climb out of the relegation zone and relieve the pressure on manager Martin O'Neill.
Reading, second from bottom and still without an away win in the league, fell behind in the third minute when James McClean smashed home a finish after visiting goalkeeper Adam Federici punched a corner out to the edge of the area.
Steven Fletcher grabbed his seventh goal of the campaign, backheeling the ball in from Danny Rose's cross, to put Sunderland 2-0 up in the 28th before Stephane Sessegnon added a third in second-half injury time.
O'Neill's job has been under scrutiny following the team's poor run of form. This was only Sunderland's third win in its last 23 league matches.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 51290Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14843Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9419Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7710Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7083Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6592Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6563Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes