Share “Suspect in LA police shooting wanted to be...”

Suspect in LA police shooting wanted to be officer

Published on NewsOK Modified: April 9, 2014 at 11:32 am •  Published: April 9, 2014

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The suspect in a police station shooting had been licensed to work as a security guard and to carry a firearm, and had even once applied to become a Los Angeles police officer.

Although Daniel C. Yealu's effort to join the Police Department didn't work out, authorities couldn't immediately say if that played any role in the shootout at a Los Angeles police station Monday night.

It was a gunbattle that ended with both him and a police officer being hospitalized with multiple bullet wounds.

The officer was released Tuesday night, officer Rosario Herrera said. Yealu is under arrest.

Yealu's father had said his 29-year-old son told him last year that things were going well in his life. But several pieces of evidence emerged Tuesday indicating that was no longer the case.

Although Yealu had been granted a license to work as a security guard in 2005, it had been canceled for some reason at the end of last year. So was his license to carry a firearm, according to public records. Meanwhile, his application to join the Los Angeles Police Department had been rejected.

"I don't have the dates that he applied, but he was a Police Department applicant and he was not hired," Cmdr. Andrew Smith told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Police say Yealu arrived at the lobby of the Police Department's West Traffic Division station about 8 p.m. Monday carrying a Glock pistol. They said he walked about 25 feet to the front desk, said "I have a complaint" and opened fire.

A desk officer was hit several times but returned fire in the close-range gunfight that followed. Another officer, who wasn't hit, also fired, and Yealu was hit several times.

The desk officer wasn't wearing a bulletproof vest, but a backup pistol he carried in his left pocket deflected a shot to his leg and may have saved his life, police Chief Charlie Beck said.

"It is an amazing story that he will be here with us," Beck told a news conference Tuesday. "He was struck twice in the shoulder, he was struck once in the side."

The name of the wounded officer wasn't released, but he is a seven-year veteran, Beck said.

Continue reading this story on the...