Suspect killed in December shoot-out with police shot 25 times, Oklahoma medical examiner says
A man who wrote on Valley Brook's town hall with his own blood before dying in a shoot-out with Oklahoma City and Valley Brook police was shot 25 times and had a blood alcohol level twice the legal limit, according to an autopsy report.
A man killed in a gunfight with police outside Valley Brook Town Hall was shot 25 times and had a blood alcohol level twice the legal limit, according to an autopsy report released Thursday by the state medical examiner.
The gunfight occurred Dec. 8 when Damien Jefferson Muncie, 36, grabbed a patrolman's weapon and shot three officers.
Muncie's blood alcohol level was 0.16, according to the autopsy report.
He had broken into the town hall and scribbled symbols and letters on the wall with his own blood before he was confronted by Valley Brook patrolmen Darren Johnson. As Johnson walked around the building, he saw a computer monitor crashing out a window.
He ordered Muncie, who was covered in blood, to stop and called for backup.
The two wrestled to the ground. A police baton, canister of pepper spray and a stun gun did not stop Muncie from grabbing Johnson's weapon and holding it to his head.
Two Oklahoma City police officers who responded to Johnson's call for backup hit Muncie with a wave of gunfire. All three officers were wounded in the gunbattle but survived. Johnson and Oklahoma City officers Chris Grimes and Roy Mitchell were treated for their injuries and went on routine administrative leave while the case was investigated.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments