Swine Week fundraisers in Edmond will help 140 amputees
Edmond Memorial High School students surpassed their fundraising goal Friday.
EDMOND — The $353,011 raised by Edmond Memorial High School students during Swine Week will provide limbs for 140 amputees, Limbs for Life Chairman Doug Brooks said.
NewsOK Related Articles
Senior Alex Wileman, a student chairman for Swine Week, said students chose Limbs for Life because of the wide range of people the charity helps.
“The organization is not specific to age or gender. We'll be helping a wide range of people from a baby born without a limb to a war veteran who lost one,” Wileman said.
The organization was one of 25 charities that applied to be the Swine Week beneficiary. The choice was made by the student council and Swine Week chairmen.
Wileman, who wants to be a physical therapist, said her involvement with Swine Week “is something that I will never, ever forget. It's my favorite memory from high school, ever.”
Limbs for Life is “designed to bring restoration to the lives of amputees who can't afford prosthetic care,” said Lucy Fraser, interim director of the organization. Prosthetic limbs can cost from $10,000 to $72,000.
Fraser said the majority of people helped by the group are nonveterans. Veterans who need prosthetic limbs often get them through the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The new limbs come at reduced cost from providers “who agree to accept what we pay,” Fraser said. “They agree to accept our donation as the total amount the client will pay.”
Some amputees lack insurance coverage and others find that their insurance company will only pay for one limb in a lifetime, Fraser said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister