Tanning equipment from 11 abandoned Tan & Tone America locations up for auction
It appears the owner of the tanning and fitness chain, Ed Shelby, has moved away, but most of his former customers have been repaid by the bank.
Videoview all videos
Jan 25Todd Crosby, owner of Tan & Tone Unlimited in Stillwater,...
Photoview all 9 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The state Attorney General's Office has received 410 complaints since the locations closed, said Diane Clay, director of communications for the agency. Most were reimbursed by the business' bank, she said.
Former customer Merri Watson, however, said she still hasn't been reimbursed the $300 she paid for a yearlong membership and is disappointed. “I could really use that money now, especially at tax time,” she said. Watson, who filed a complaint with the Attorney General's Office, has since joined another gym.
Shelby, 81, founder and owner of Tan & Tone America, was connected to the now-defunct International Fitness chain early in his career, a business that also went under and left hundreds of former members with worthless lifetime or long-term memberships.
That incident led to the Legislature passing the Oklahoma Health Spa Act, which prohibits contracts longer than 36 months.
Ironically, the law didn't apply to Tan & Tone America because it exempts facilities that operate solely for aerobics or toning.
Shelby has not publicly commented on Tan & Tone America's demise. He and his wife, Becky, sold their northwest Oklahoma City home in November for $250,000, records show. Phone numbers for the company's corporate office and his home are now disconnected. He is thought to be living in Austin, Texas.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort