Tar Creek trust ruling has contractors at odds

BY SHEILA STOGSDILL Published: May 7, 2010
Advertisement
;
1 m

illion, according to the petition.

"There was nothing improper,” said Lloyd Stone. "The bid was based on the entire operation — not price.”

Stone said the trust is in the process of paying him for the houses that have been destroyed.

Larry Roberts, trust operations manager, said about 30 houses have been demolished.

McAfee said he also took issue with the bid form and the manner it was written.

"It was written by someone incompetent or written in a manner to position the numbers,” McAfee said.

The trust will have to rebid the project, said Terry O’Donnell, DT Specialized Services’ attorney.

He said the trust earlier this week held a meeting where it was learned they had a longstanding relationship with Stone’s Backhoe, Dozer and Trucking.

"They were happy with the work he did before so they were going to use him again,” O’Donnell said.

The trust was formed after a 2006 U.S. Army Corps of Engineers study showed the abandoned lead and zinc mines underneath Picher and the nearby communities of Cardin and Hockerville had a high risk of caving in, prompting a federally funded buyout.