Target is just the start at Marketplace in Lawton
Hunt Properties begins $45 million retail project in Lawton after four years of talking.
LAWTON — It's almost like Lawton is growing itself a town.
The first phase of $45 million Lawton Marketplace, 350,000 square feet of stores by Dallas-based developer Hunt Properties Inc., is under way after years of delays at NW 82nd St. and Quanah Parker Trailway.
First in — and first on people's minds — is a Target, which will take more than one-third of the space, some 134,000 square feet. Also in the first phase will be an Academy Sports & Outdoors and TJ Maxx, said Jeff Williams, vice president of Hunt Properties.
Dirt work began earlier this month. Stores are planned to open next summer.
“This is a project we've been working on for the better part of four years so it's gratifying to finally see construction under way,” Williams said.
Other stores are signed for the shopping center, as well. David Cassman, vice president of development for Hunt Properties, told the Lawton Constitution that stores will include Famous Footwear, Kirkland's, Dress Barn, Lane Bryant, PetSmart and Chuck E. Cheese.
Street and signal work is planned to handle the increase in traffic, the Lawton paper reported.
KSWO-TV reported that Lawton Marketplace is the biggest retail project in Lawton in 35 years. It sent TV reporter Scott Miller into poetry in a Sept. 9 report: “Texans toiling in tractors, turning topsoil,” he said of crews with Hill & Wilkinson, a Dallas-area contractor doing the work.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 30214Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 19534Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7073OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6093Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5026OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4433Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3498Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater