Target works with Feds
NEW YORK — Target Corp. said Monday that the Department of Justice is investigating the credit and debit card security breach at the retailer.
Target revealed last week that data connected to about 40 million credit and debit card accounts were stolen between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15. Security experts say it's the second-largest theft of card accounts in U.S. history, passed only by a scam that began in 2005 involving retailer TJX Cos. That affected at least 45.7 million card users.
The Department of Justice declined to comment on whether it's investigating the breach. Target said that it's cooperating with the DOJ's probe. Target also said that it is working with the U.S. Secret Service and its general counsel held a conference call on Monday with state attorneys general.
“Target remains committed to sharing information about the recent data breach with all who are impacted,” Molly Snyder, a Target spokeswoman, said. By Monday evening, more than a dozen customers had filed federal lawsuits around the country.