TCU's Fields still barred from all school activity

Published on NewsOK Modified: August 5, 2014 at 7:52 pm •  Published: August 5, 2014
Advertisement
;

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — TCU officials say defensive end Devonte Fields remains "separated" from the university, meaning the preseason Big 12 defensive player of the year is still barred from campus and all school activities.

Fields last month surrendered to authorities on a misdemeanor assault warrant amid allegations that he threatened his ex-girlfriend and punched her.

The university released a statement Tuesday night after several reports that Fields posted on his protected Twitter account that he was meeting with university officials. The school didn't publicly acknowledge any meeting, and only said the student-athlete's status was unchanged.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram, citing an unnamed TCU official, reported later Tuesday night that Fields "unlikely will be allowed" to rejoin the Horned Frogs.

The statement said there are several parts to the process when a student is alleged to have violated the student conduct code. They include a judicial hearing before a panel of faculty and staff members reviews the case. The process can take several days to complete, including any appeal before a final decision is rendered.

Fields had four tackles without a sack while playing only three games last season. He missed the season opener and parts of two other games for an unspecified violation of university and team rules before a season-ending foot injury that required surgery.