TE Bennett leaving Giants for Bears
CHICAGO (AP) — The Chicago Bears insisted they would get Jay Cutler the help he needed. Clearly, they were serious.
The Bears addressed a huge hole on the offensive line by agreeing to a five-year contract with New Orleans Saints Pro Bowl left tackle Jermon Bushrod and filled another need by signing versatile tight end Martellus Bennett away from the New York Giants on Tuesday.
With two big moves as free agency kicked into gear, the Bears gave their quarterback protection on his blind side and another playmaker at tight end.
Considering they also hired an offensive-minded coach in Marc Trestman this offseason and already had a star receiver in Brandon Marshall and solid running back in Matt Forte, it appears Cutler now has the weapons he needs — or at least more of them.
The Bears still might look to add to the offensive line in the draft. They also have some other issues to address after going 10-6 and missing the playoffs for the fifth time in six years — particularly on defense. Pro Bowl defensive tackle Henry Melton seeking a long-term deal after signing his $8.45 million franchise tender and franchise icon Brian Urlacher hitting the market for the first time. Strong side linebacker Nick Roach is also a free agent.
But the Bears addressed their biggest concern by bringing in Bushrod.
A person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that the deal is potentially worth about $36 million, with $17.7 million guaranteed. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the terms had not been released.
Bushrod was drafted in the fourth round by New Orleans in 2007. He started on the Saints' 2009 championship team and made the Pro Bowl the past two seasons.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 15391Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9463Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8117Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7214Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6364Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6332Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6331Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit