Teachers spend valuable time trying to control children
The release of report cards giving grades on the performance of Oklahoma schools does nothing more than confirm what we already knew and offers no solutions. Some schools aren't successful in providing a basic education. In some districts, half of the schools got a D or worse. To remedy the situation we must start with the failing elementary schools. If these students aren't learning the “Three Rs,” they won't be prepared to handle subjects at a higher level.
NewsOK Related Articles
At these failing elementary schools the problem isn't the schools, the teachers or the IQs of the students. It's more basic than that.
They're not learning because teachers aren't teaching. And this isn't their fault! Rather than teaching, they spend most of their time trying to control the behavior of children who don't have the self-control necessary to be receptive to learning. Can anyone be expected to be both a classroom teacher and a behavioral therapist? Any parent who doubts this should visit a classroom and see the obstacles these teachers face.
School administrators at the district and state levels should get out of their offices and spend a day as a substitute teacher. Perhaps then they'll comprehend the problem and divert some of their resources to supporting these teachers in creating an environment where their students can actually learn.
Bill Walker, Yukon
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 83313Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 56374Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33323Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 23846Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 23231Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8483Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8265Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters