Tebow says ribs improving, throws more at practice
Tebow had X-rays taken Sunday that showed "some healing, but still fractures," and will have a new set taken later in the week to make sure things are progressing.
"It's not 100 percent," he said, "but I can still throw OK."
If cleared by doctors and made active by Ryan, Tebow will be the backup to Mark Sanchez, whom Ryan announced Wednesday would remain the starter. After Sanchez struggled and was benched in favor of third-stringer Greg McElroy in the Jets' 7-6 win over Arizona last Sunday, Ryan took a few days to make his decision.
While it appears Tebow was never really in the mix for the start, Ryan said he would be Sanchez's backup Sunday.
"I know he can play and I know he's been cleared to play, but I don't believe he's been healthy for what I think he should be," Ryan said. "If that was my son, I would not want him playing, and that's how I look at this. But if he was completely healthy, then Tim would be our No. 2."
Tebow nearly became a member of the Jaguars, who along with the Jets were interested in trading for the popular quarterback last offseason. While he has been used in a limited role in New York, he insists he has no regrets about playing for the Jets.
"I would have loved to play for both organizations, but I am a Jet," Tebow said. "I'm glad I'm a Jet. I'm looking forward to this game and going back home."
Online: http://pro32.ap.org/poll and http://twitter.com/AP_NFL
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister