Teddy Mitchell's gambling case trial delayed to April
A federal judge Friday reset the jury trial for Teddy Mitchell and nine other defendants to April 9. Mitchell, two of his sons, six other men and a Costa Rican company are accused of involvement in illegal gambling.
The jury trial for Teddy Mitchell and nine other defendants has been postponed to April 9.
Mitchell, his two sons, six other men and a Costa Rican company are accused in an 81-count indictment of involvement in an illegal gambling operation. A federal grand jury indicted them Sept. 19.
Videoview all videos
Sep 24A federal indictment released Monday accuses Teddy...
Sep 21FBI agents have arrested Teddy Mitchell and son Dryden...
Photoview all 13 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The trial was set to begin Nov. 13 in federal court in Oklahoma City.
Prosecutors allege Mitchell, 58, made millions of dollars hosting illegal high-stakes poker games at his Oklahoma City home and illegally taking bets on sporting events. He has pleaded not guilty.
U.S. District Judge David Russell on Friday delayed the trial so defense attorneys can have adequate time to prepare. The judge agreed the case is complex.
Mitchell's attorneys first sought the delay.
Mitchell's attorneys reported prosecutors so far have turned over to them 2,400 pages of reports and records and 38 CDs/DVDs of video evidence and recorded calls.
Prosecutors are expected to turn over thousands of more records to defense attorneys later.
Oklahoma City police detectives, meanwhile, are continuing to investigate the 2010 beating death of Mitchell's wife.
Julie Mitchell, 34, was killed inside the couple's home while Teddy Mitchell was traveling to California.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 24265Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15789Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10553Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9606Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9126Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8599Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8494Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena