Testimony begins in trial for OKC teen accused in infant sister's death
Crystian Rivera, 14, of Oklahoma City, is charged with first-degree murder in Aug. 19, 2011, death of 9-month-old Linda Beletzuy. Police say Rivera told them he got frustrated when the girl interrupted a video game.
A fall from a bed caused the death of a baby girl whose brother said he shook her because she interrupted his video game, the boy's defense attorney said at his murder trial Tuesday.
Crystian Rivera, 14, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of his 9-month-old sister, Linda Beletzuy, who died Aug. 19, 2011, from head injuries.
Defense attorney Michael Johnson in his opening statement said the girl suffered the injuries when she fell off her bed and landed on her head.
“There's no evidence that this baby was shaken,” Johnson said. “This, more than likely, was a tragic accident.”
Prosecutors allege the girl died after her brother shook and tossed her for interrupting his game. She was injured while left in Rivera's care for more than six hours Aug. 16, 2011, while her parents were at work.
Assistant District Attorney SuAnne Carlson in her opening statement Tuesday said the child's injuries were consistent with shaking, which resulted in a “whiplash motion” that damaged her brain.
“This injury was inconsistent with a fall off the bed,” Carlson said.
An emergency room doctor who initially treated the girl before she was taken to another hospital testified Tuesday the girl was “pretty much unresponsive” when she arrived in her father's arms.
Dr. Demille Madox said a fall could not have caused her injuries, adding that nurses who treated the girl suspected foul play.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments