How can parents help their children before test day?
The nonprofit group Stand for Children offers these tips for parents during test time.
• Talk about state tests and why students take them.
• Give praise and encouragement before the exam.
• Ask the teacher questions.
• Ensure high attendance throughout the year.
• Provide a quiet, comfortable place to study at home.
• Stick to a daily routine.
• Serve a healthy breakfast on test day.
• Make sure children have enough sleep. Children ages 7 to 12 need 10 to 12 hours of sleep. Teens need eight or nine hours.
• Dress children in comfortable clothes.
FROM STAFF REPORTS