Texans a strong No. 1 in AP Pro32 power rankings
NEW YORK (AP) — With Arian Foster running and J.J. Watt swatting away passes, the Houston Texans remained unbeaten and tightened their grip on the top spot in the AP Pro32 NFL power rankings.
The Texans improved to 5-0 with a 23-17 win over the New York Jets on Monday night. They received 10 of the 12 first-place votes and 382 points Tuesday from the 12-person panel of media members who regularly cover the NFL.
Atlanta, the NFL's only other unbeaten team, held on to second with 336 points. San Francisco received two first-place votes and 333 points to stay third.
"The Texans are the class of the league right now with dominant players in J.J. Watt, Arian Foster and Andre Johnson," said voter John Lynch of Fox Sports. "Fun to watch!"
Houston hosts the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night, and will be without star linebacker Brian Cushing, out for the year with a torn left knee ligament.
"Losing Brian Cushing will hurt, although they have dealt well with injuries before," noted Clifton Brown of Sporting News.
Indianapolis jumped nine spots to 22nd after rallying to upset the Packers 30-27 on Sunday in its first game without coach Chuck Pagano, who is being treated for leukemia.
"A win for Chuck Pagano and the human spirit," said ESPN's Chris Berman.
Baltimore remained fourth, New England advanced to fifth and Chicago improved three places to sixth off its 41-3 win against Jacksonville.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 20729Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17578Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 11978Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10703Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 8989Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8551Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8339Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments