Texans prepare for talented rookie Luck
HOUSTON (AP) — The last time the Houston Texans faced an inexperienced quarterback they forced second-year pro Jake Locker into five turnovers and sacked him six times in a win over the Titans.
Two weeks later, they get a shot at Andrew Luck, the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft last April, and they can clinch the AFC South title with a win.
Luck has thrown for 3,792 yards for the Colts, but leads the AFC in interceptions with 18, and has lost five fumbles. He's also been sacked 32 times, and will now have to deal with AFC sacks leader J.J. Watt.
"We need more sacks," said Watt, who has a single-season franchise record with 16½. "I need to rush the passer better. As a defensive line, we need more pressure and we need to bat some more balls. We'll put it on us up front."
Coach Gary Kubiak noted that Luck is challenging because even if the defense gets to him for a sack, his size (6-foot 4, 234 pounds) makes him difficult to bring down.
"It's got to be a big conscious effort for us to keep him contained, and then when we do have our opportunities you got to really work to bring him down," Kubiak said. "You can make just an incredible highlight reel of people just hanging on to him and him still making plays."
Kubiak likened Luck to Ben Roethlisberger because of his size, and said that when he was studying the draft last year he thought he was the best quarterback to come out since his predecessor Peyton Manning.
"He's sure as heck hasn't disappointed," Kubiak said. "He's been excellent this year. I told the team he's playing like an eight-, nine-year football player. He's handling a ton of offense."
Despite his development, Luck hasn't found a way to limit his turnovers. He's had three games this season with three interceptions, and two of them have come in the last four games. He has nine interceptions in the last four games.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims