Texans QB Yates settles into No. 2 role
HOUSTON (AP) — Houston Texans receiver Kevin Walter knew the offense would be fine from the moment T.J. Yates called his first play in the huddle last season.
Yates, a fifth-round draft pick in 2011, was an afterthought on Houston's roster until season-ending injuries to Matt Schaub and Matt Leinart thrust him into the starting role. The former North Carolina star promptly guided the Texans to victories in his first two starts, including a division-clinching win at Cincinnati.
Two weeks into training camp, Schaub is healthy again and Yates is content to be back in a reserve role for Houston (No. 6 in the AP Pro32). The Texans open the preseason at Carolina (No. 20 in AP Pro32) on Saturday.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21736Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17602Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12531Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9970Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9708Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9584Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7184Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense