Texas A&M-SMU football preview capsule
Texas A&M (0-1) at SMU (1-1), 2:30 p.m. CT Saturday (FSN)
Line: Texas A&M by 12 1/2
Series Record: Texas A&M leads 42-29-7
WHAT'S AT STAKE
Texas A&M looks to avoid an 0-2 start after last week's 20-17 loss to Florida when the Aggies visit SMU for the first meeting of former Southwest Conference foes since 1990. SMU hasn't beaten A&M since 1984.
SMU QB Garrett Gilbert vs. A&M defense. The former Texas quarterback will have his hands full with A&M's attacking defense. The Aggies, who led the nation in sacks last season, piled up eight last week against the Gators to lead the nation in the category despite playing one fewer game than most teams. DE Damontre Moore had three of A&M's sacks and leads the country in that category.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Texas A&M: QB Johnny Manziel became the first freshman quarterback to start a season opener for the Aggies since 1944 when he started against the Gators. He threw for 173 yards and ran for 60 yards and a score. Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin thought Manziel did some good things against Florida, but is looking for more in Manziel's second career start.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad