Texas boy with pentagram carved back discharged
RICHLAND HILLS, Texas (AP) — A 6-year-old Texas boy whose father allegedly carved a pentagram on the child's back is out of the hospital and doing well given the circumstances, police said Thursday.
NewsOK Related Articles
The boy seems to be doing OK, while his mother is in "a very emotional state" and has asked for privacy for their family, Richland Hills police detective Tye Bell said. The child's wounds didn't require stitches and he was released from a Fort Worth hospital Wednesday night, police said.
Some medical experts say the boy may need counseling to overcome the traumatic incident.
Brent Troy Bartel, 39, remained jailed Thursday on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in lieu of $500,000 bond. Police say they plan to seek a mental evaluation.
Bartel called 911 early Wednesday and said he had shed "innocent blood" and inscribed a pentagram on his son because it was "a holy day," according to a recording of the brief call. It is not clear to which faith he was referring. Wednesday's date was 12-12-12, a once-in-a-century event.
The case has been turned over to the district attorney, and investigators cannot reveal what, if anything, Bartel has told them — such as explaining his actions or why he used the pentagram symbol, police Sgt. Nathan Stringer said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments