Texas governor Rick Perry: Texas A&M is talking about SEC move
Conference athletic directors and presidents gave A&M almost all of what it wanted last week, imposing at least a one-year moratorium on Longhorn Network high school games. The opponent and league office must approve any conference game carried by the network. Apparently, A&M was not appeased.
Sources indicated that no other Big 12 team is considering an exit and the league would continue with nine teams if A&M left.
While sources said that A&M is intrigued about the SEC's possibilities, the Aggies remain troubled by the Longhorn Network and its effect on Big 12 stability.
Proponents of a move to the SEC suggest that Texas A&M could finally escape Texas' shadow and forge a separate national identity. With five consecutive BCS titles, the SEC represents the gold standard for football. A&M would be joining the elite.
But A&M would presumably join the SEC West and face a football schedule that includes Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Arkansas annually. The Aggies have lost their last six meetings against SEC opponents. The SEC maintains a conference title game. The Big 12 does not, providing an easier path to a BCS appearance.
A&M would also lose long-standing rivalries. The Aggies have played Texas and Baylor more than 100 times. The Texas Legislature could get involved.
Yet none of that may matter given the direction A&M is moving.
Staff writer Robert T. Garrett contributed to this report.
Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister