Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6211Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5407Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4993Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4408OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3817Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3613How to help tornado victims
- 3586Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3014Oklahoma City Thunder: In his absence, Russell Westbrook's value becomes obvious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
Texas' only Red River Rivalry solace is a barbecue repeat
BY DANIEL PUMA | Published: October 16, 2012 | Modified: October 17, 2012 at 12:41 am
These are the kind of ribs that come from someone with years of experience and patience to find barbecue nirvana.
“I am not a chef,” said Garrett. “I am a pitmaster. It's not a hobby, it's an addiction. I have my blood transfused with barbecue sauce.”
Feeling confident after a successful showing for the judges, Garrett began the next day cooking more than 150 slabs of pork spare ribs.
“The first day was friendly and everyone helping everyone,” said Garrett on Friday. “Today, the smack talk has started.”
Garrett has been with Coach's restaurants since March, after retiring from careers with the military and Hewlett-Packard. When Emerging Brands Inc. bought Coach's Restaurant, they wanted to install a true barbecue pitmaster. While the other locations have been sold, the Bricktown location is where you can get Garrett's food.
“I now get to do what I love,” Garrett said.
Garrett beat out fellow Oklahomans Robby Corcoran of Burn Co. BBQ in Tulsa, Terel McNac of Steve's Ribs in Edmond, and Bill Ritter of Mud Creek BBQ in Ringling.
You can try Garrett's championship ribs at Coach's in Bricktown, 20 South Mickey Mantle Dr., seven days a week. On weekends, if you're lucky, Garrett sometimes serves burnt ends.