Texas Prison Gets New Locks After Oklahoman Escapes

Oklahoman Published: September 5, 1996
Advertisement
;

BIOG: NAME: UPD: 19 -TEXT-

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A week after a double murderer from Oklahoma escaped through a 6-inch window, officials at Wackenhut Corrections Center say they are stepping up security at the private downtown jail.

The escape of John Ray Davis, 21, prompted prison management to decide to spend $20,000 on new doors and security locks and to implement new procedures in the coming weeks, officials said.

Wackenhut Corrections Corp. conducted an audit of its facility last week after the Aug. 26 escape.

"Those security enhancements will make the security improvements that we need," said Warden Cloid L. Shuler. "Wackenhut Corrections has made it clear that it has zero tolerance on escapes."

The San Antonio facility is used to house parole violators, federal prisoners and out-of-state inmates. Davis was serving a life sentence without parole for the 1992 killings of two people in Tulsa County.

Allan Polunsky, chairman of the Texas Board of Criminal Justice, said significant change also needs to occur in classifying prisoners as violent or nonviolent.

He wants the Texas Legislature to address the prisoner classification issue when it convenes in January.

Continue reading this story on the...

NewsOK.com has disabled the comments for this article.