Texas star Hamilton not starting against Cleveland
ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) — Adrian Beltre made his case to Texas manager Ron Washington and earned a start.
Beltre was not in the original lineup Thursday night against Cleveland, a day after injuring his left shoulder.
The All-Star third baseman talked to Washington and was later listed as the designated hitter.
"He strong-armed me," Washington joked.
Rangers center fielder Josh Hamilton was out of the lineup. The 2010 AL MVP left Wednesday night in the eighth inning and received an injection for his sore left knee.
Washington doesn't consider Hamilton's injury serious and he is expected to play Friday night against Seattle. Leonys Martin will start in place of Hamilton, who came in leading the majors with 41 home runs and 121 RBIs.
Beltre, who has hit 13 home runs in his last 20 games, hurt his shoulder diving for a ground ball at third base and left in the fifth inning. An MRI on Wednesday night revealed slight inflammation.
"They assumed I wasn't going to feel good based on what they saw last night," Beltre said. "But today is a different day."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 15391Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9463Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8117Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7214Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6364Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6332Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6331Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit