Share “The Archivist: Harry Wahlgren was face of...”

The Archivist: Harry Wahlgren was face of weather in Oklahoma City

Mary Phillips: Harry Wahlgren worked for U.S. Weather Bureau in Oklahoma City and was popular weather forecaster from 1911 to 1943
BY MARY PHILLIPS Published: September 23, 2013

Gary England has become a well-known household name after 41 years of weather reporting. The former chief meteorologist and on-air weather personality for KWTV is also known for his phrases, such as “Friday night in the big town!”

But, England is not the first weatherman to attain popularity with Oklahomans. That honor belongs to Harry Wahlgren who served as the public face of the U.S. Weather Bureau in Oklahoma City and was described as “one of Oklahoma City's most beloved adopted sons.”

When oilman Charles F. Urschel was kidnapped and kept blindfolded, he kept a mental record of the weather for the nine days he was held.

Given Urschel's recollections, Wahlgren was able to determine that Urschel had been kept near Paradise, Texas.

With that information, the FBI was able to capture five of the kidnappers, and Wahlgren received a letter of commendation from J. Edgar Hoover, the agency's director.

Wahlgren was the contact person for the newspaper reporter, and also the man on the street.

When bureau chief J.P. Slaughter died in 1932, Wahlgren was appointed the acting official. The head office was going to send an outsider to be the new bureau chief. However, the public, led by The Daily Oklahoman and Oklahoma City Times, demanded Wahlgren receive the permanent appointment — and he did.

In 1943, The Oklahoman wrote about Wahlgren's transfer: “Big, friendly Wahlgren, after 32 years of striving to keep up with Oklahoma's fast-changing weather, said he is glad of the promotion to one of the nation's largest weather bureaus, but that he considers Oklahoma City ‘the best place on God's earth.'

“When Wahlgren became the weatherman, the radio and Teletype communication which today keeps the weather bureau in touch with thousands of other stations, was unknown. He received his daily reports from five or six stations by Morse code ...

“Many a night, when bad weather made reception difficult, Wahlgren stayed at his telegraph machine until midnight to get his forecast in the next morning's paper. When he finally got it completed he would wake up the waiting messenger boy, who would mount his bicycle and carry it downtown.

Continue reading this story on the...