North on MacArthur Blvd., past Deer Creek Schools, there is a small white house on the west side of the street. The yard is neat and the property is well kept. Its address is 21751 N MacArthur Blvd.
On the fence is this sign:
Cartmill Farm House — Circa 1895
This house is a rare surviving example of the house built by settlers on the prairie as they moved out of sod houses.
This house is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 2006, an application was made to list the house on the National Register of Historic Places. These excerpts from the registration form describe the historical significance of the house:
“The Cartmill Farm House consists of an intact, late 19th century farm house that reflects the first period of settlement in the Unassigned Lands of Oklahoma Territory and a small collection of outbuildings that date from the early 20th century.
“The farm house is a 1 1/2 story, frame building that falls into the Hall and Parlor plan. It is typical of the first-generation housing that marks the settlement of the Territory. The house is located on 1.8 acres of ‘school land,’ land owned by the State of Oklahoma and leased for the benefit of local schools.”
“... it has remained virtually intact since 1895 due to its location on ‘school land.’ While privately owned farmsteads in the surrounding countryside have seen either improvements, enlargements or demolition in the intervening years since the first settlement in the area, the Cartmill Farm house has seen minimal modernization.”
Continue reading this story on the...