The Citadel overcomes Charleston Southern 49-14
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — The Citadel scored 28 points in the third quarter to pull away from Charleston Southern 49-14 in the season opener for both teams Saturday.
Charleston Southern led 14-7 in the second quarter before Rickey Anderson's 27-yard run for The Citadel 1:29 before halftime tied it at 14-14.
The Citadel rushed for 479 yards, gaining 27 first downs on the run. The Bulldogs ranked third in the Football Championship Subdivision in rushing offense with 3,153 yards last season.
Anderson scored three touchdowns, including one in the decisive third quarter on a 3-yard run, and Ben Dupree scored twice in the third period for the Bulldogs.
Darien Robinson, who led The Citadel with 120 yards rushing, ran 54 yards for a touchdown to give the Bulldogs a 28-14 advantage in the third-quarter scoring barrage.
Malcolm Dixon threw a touchdown pass and ran for a score for Charleston Southern.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 24265Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15789Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10553Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9606Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9126Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8599Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8494Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena