Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The History of English People in Oklahoma
The English Cattle Ranch and Land Company sent British immigrants to run and work on ranches they established on leased Indian reservation land in the 1880s. A number of English natives and their descendants took part in the land runs.
During the 19th century, most of the English in Indian Territory were either missionaries, U.S Army troops stationed in forts, or mixed-blood Indians.
NewsOK Related Articles
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21059Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7331Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6693OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5627Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4676Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4297Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater