TULSA — The Oklahoman was honored as best newspaper in the annual contest of the Oklahoma pro chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists and NewsOK.com was named best news website.
The awards were announced at the organization's annual awards banquet Saturday evening.
The Oklahoman and NewsOK.com won 16 firsts and 41 total awards.
“We strive every day to provide quality journalism to our readers. Being honored by SPJ validates the hard work I see being done by the men and women at The Oklahoman. We are proud of these awards,” said Kelly Dyer Fry, vice president of OPUBCO Communications Group and editor of The Oklahoman.
The Oklahoman's staff competed in Division A (circulation 25,000 and up) and online categories for work published in 2012.
Here are the award winners from The Oklahoman and NewsOK. com:
• Breaking News Coverage: First, LeighAnne Manwarren, Zeke Campfield and Juliana Keeping; second, Silas Allen and Matt Dinger; third, Matt Dinger, Michael Kimball and Jaclyn Cosgrove.
• Special Report/Enterprise: Second, Steve Lackmeyer.
• Blog: Third, Darnell Mayberry.
• Multimedia: First, The Oklahoman staff; second, Taylor Eldridge.
• Photography: First, Bryan Terry; second, Sarah Phipps; third, Bryan Terry.
Continue reading this story on the...